In this article, we’ll help you open apk file on Android and windows pc devices. An APK file is a file format used by Android devices for the distribution and installation of mobile apps, games, and other files including middleware. Files with .apk extensions are android files and are most suitable for android devices; however, these files, apps, or games may be used on other operating systems including Windows with the help of android emulators like Bluestacks, LDPlayer, and others.
Some common APK file content includes; classes.dex, resources.arsc, uncompiled resources, AndroidManifest.xml, res folder and META-INF which are generally saved in ZIP folders and are usually located under /data/app/directory and if hidden could be found under apps in external storage or phones’ storage.
Open APK File
Installing and opening an APK file on an android device is easy as it only requires a swift download and install process from Google Play store and sometimes, the official websites of the app or file to be downloaded. Downloading APK files from Google Play store is the most trusted option for android users as it is very simple, fast, and free from malware.
After download and installation from Google Play Store, the APK file will be opened on a single click and the app or game icon will be added to your phones’ menu. Sometimes, downloading android files from websites may be restricted due to installation block or restriction from unknown sources. In this case, permission may be granted by the operator before installation can commence, Here is how you can install third-party APKs…
- Go to Setting of your device
- Navigate to Security
- Find and Enable “Apps from Unknown Sources” option
- Now Open APK file you want to install
- Click on Install and wait for it to finish the process.
- Once the installation is finished, click on Done and you have successfully installed apk file on your device.
Open APK File on Windows PC
The use of APK file is quite common amongst Windows users especially the game lovers and this is mostly because of the need for a wider screen with better graphics and also more advanced playing options with the use of a spacious keyboard and a sensitive touchpad or mouse. Opening an APK file on a Windows device will require the use of an android emulator which will enable you to run any android game or app on your Windows Pc flawlessly.
How to Open APK Files on Windows Using Bluestacks
- Download Bluestacks on your Windows PC using your preferred web browser
- After launching Bluestacks Emulator on your system, open the app
- You will find some recommended android apps on the app center, but you can search for the specific app you will like to download.
- Select the option “Install APK” on the bottom right corner, under “My Apps”
- After its installation, select the icon that reads’ “Choose apk”
- Select the option “Open” and wait for the file to install
- After installation, you can now open the APK file on your Windows and run it successfully
- You can also download the APK file manually from a different app store or web browser and drag the file to Bluestacks, once you drop it, an automatic install should start on the .apk file.
- After installation, your APK file can be opened and used on your Windows device.
Bluestacks can also be used to emulate APK files on Mac and Chrome devices perfectly
Open APK Using ARC Welder
APK files can be opened on Chrome OS, Windows and Mac devices using the chrome app, ARC welder. Although it is not completely free of bugs as it is in a beta stage and cannot install apps from the Google Play store, it can run any APK file previously downloaded via a web browser. All that is needed for its smooth running is an APK file package stored in a Zip file. To install ARC welder on your device;
- Search “ARC Welder” in the chrome web store
- Select the option “Add”
- After adding, open Chrome and go to Chrome apps
- Open ARC Welder and select a directory for APK
- Click “Choose”
- If you have previously downloaded an APK file, select the option “Add your APK”
- Select the APK file and click on “Launch App”
- After a successful launch, you can run your APK file on your Chrome device or Mac.
ARC Welder also works on other devices including Windows; however, it is not very reliable and may come up with hitches.
Although APK files cannot be opened on IOS devices (iPhones and iPods) they have wide accessibility which enables you to open your favorite games, apps and other android files on several devices including Windows, Linux based OS, Chrome and Mac devices with the use of emulators,extractors and a few other uncommon options.
However, a very reliable means of opening an APK file is the use of android emulators such as Bluestacks, or LDPlayer. If you need to open an APK file on your android device, all you need to do is download the file and install it on your device.